It looks like ABC is satisfied with the ratings of the revived American Idol, since the network has decided to bring back the singing competition for season two. According to the announcement, judges Luke Bryan, Katy Perry and Lionel Richie will all return for the second season alongside host Ryan Seacrest.
“We knew that American Idol on ABC would unleash an opportunity for singers from all walks of life to realize their dreams and that these incredible contestants would have America rooting for their success,” said Channing Dungey, president of ABC Entertainment. “I am thrilled that Katy, Luke, Lionel, and Ryan will be back to once again embark on this Idol journey with us to discover the next crop of inspiring talent.”
ABC has tried to establish its own singing competition in the past including the short-lived Rising Star in 2014 but didn’t manage to catch the attention of the audience. The network then decided to make a deal with FremantleMedia North America and 19 Entertainment reviving American Idol, which previously aired on Fox for 15 seasons (2002-2016).
“American Idol’s return on ABC has shown once again that viewers love to discover and support raw talent,” said Trish Kinane, president of Entertainment Programming, FremantleMedia North America, executive producer and showrunner of American Idol. “Our new judges Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie have brought huge credibility, energy, and fun to the show this year, and we are so excited to continue the journey with Ryan Seacrest at the helm in the search for the next superstar.”
Although American Idol had its ups and downs during its first season on ABC, it managed to generate strong rating since the start of the live shows, establishing itself as Sunday’s number one entertainment broadcast series in each of its eight telecasts this season. The finale of the first season is scheduled for May 21st.